Renewable Power Purchase Agreement (PPA)
Renewable Power Purchase Agreement (PPA)
Structuring successful Power Purchase Agreements (PPAs), managing competitive electricity markets & attracting merchant power investments
The global renewable electricity generation capacity is growing with an unprecedented speed. Half of the growth in the power production across the globe is coming from renewables, led by wind, solar PV, and hydro power. Within the next 5 years the share of renewable technologies meeting global energy demand will reach 30% of the total world electricity generation.
Renewables growth accelerates in many regions in the world. Not only in the leading countries such as the US, China, the European Union Member States and India but also in other regions, from Latin America to sub-Saharan Africa, the Middle East and Asia.
A policy shift towards competitive pricing mechanisms drives renewables growth. For the first time, more than half of renewable electricity capacity is expected to be commissioned through competitive auctions, which continue to slash wind and solar PV bid prices to between USD 20 per megawatt hour (MWh) and USD 50/MWh.
Overall, continuous cost reductions are expected to make renewables more competitive with new coal and natural gas plants in an increasing number of countries.
The introduction of additional competitive auctions for long-term power purchase agreements (PPAs) in key countries; and a growing private or corporate PPA market that takes advantage of wind and solar PV cost reductions, will be a very interesting instruments to further deploy renewable power projects.
Even with renewable energy technologies becoming increasingly competitive, appropriate policies and market design are critical. Governments should introduce measures to tackle policy and regulatory uncertainties as well as grid integration and financing challenges.
During this intensive and highly interactive 4-day hands-on course, we will provide a comprehensive guidance and tips and tricks with regards to successfully negotiating and signing bankable renewable PPAs.
Benefits of Attending
- UNDERSTAND about the impact of the fast growing renewable part in the energy mix
- LEARN about the essentials of the different renewable PPAs
- UNDERSTAND corporate PPAs
- EXECUTE policy and risk assessment for renewable PPAs
- STRUCTURE a successful and bankable PPA contract
- GAIN the tools and models in directing your country’s electricity transformation and market design plans
- IMPROVE your awareness of the common pitfalls and mistakes to avoid in today’s private power investments
- LEAD successful renewable power project finance transactions
- NEGOTIATE a fair and sustainable PPA that works
- Global Electricity Market Trends Driving PPA Investments
- Case Study: Lake Turkana Wind Power Project, Kenya
- Renewables Developments
- Case Study: Review situation in Middle East, Africa, Asia, and Latin America
- The Different Types of PPA
- Practical Case: Challenges in the heavy-industry renewable PPAs
- Key Differences of Thermal vs. Renewable PPA
- Power Purchase Agreement: Key General Features
- Renewable PPA Specifics
- Case Study: Examining a Solar and Wind PPA
- Corporate Renewable PPA
- Case Study: Examining a Corporate PPA structure
- Multiple Buyers PPAs
- Case Study: Examining a Multi Buyer PPA
- Financing of Renewable Power Projects
- Case Study: Reviewing financing structure of renewable project with a PPA
- Bankability of Renewable PPAs
- Risk Assessment: PPA is all about properly allocating risks
- Exercise: Identifying risks for a specific Renewable PPA project
- How to Negotiate the Best PPA Deal
- Final Exercise/Role Play: Negotiating a Renewable PPA
Throughout the course the course director combines theoretical aspects with real life case studies, actual PPA contract samples, pricing and the specific risks and their mitigation methods. The four-day course at all times remains interactive with full participation from all the participants.
We would like to customise the workshop based on your specific needs. Pre-Course Questionnaire will be sent prior to the workshop for analyse in advance and to be addressed during the course.
Upon the successful completion of this course, you will receive a Certificate of Completion bearing the signatures from both the Course Director and the Course Organiser. This Certificate will testify your endeavour and serve towards your professional advancement.
What People Are Saying
Who Will Attend
Energy professionals including but not limited to:
- Contract / Agreement Specialists
- Legal / Regulation / Policy Analysts
- Business Development Managers
- Commercial Managers
- Finance Controllers / Treasurers
- Corporate Planners
- Business & Accounting Analysts
- Sales & Trading Managers
- Structured / Trade Finance Managers
- Project Managers
- Chairman / CEO / Directors
- Electric Regulators & Ministries
- Power & Utility Companies
- IPP Developers & Renewables
- Banks / Investors
- Energy Supply Companies (Oil, Gas, Coal and Renewables)
- Law Firms & Consultancy