Mastering Solar Power (Online Course)
Commences: 23 October 2023
Live Online Course
A comprehensive, up-to-date and business-focused roadmap to success in delivering solar power growth, today and tomorrow
Attendees will gain a good understanding of the key factors from an integrated, multidisciplinary and commercial viewpoint, including: target market analysis, economic competitiveness, channels-to-market, financing influences and risk, project development processes, best practices and emerging technologies.
The course schedule includes illustration of key project development considerations, including energy yield, financial and other simple calculations, along with the chance to discuss key planning and market environment considerations.
In keeping with the business-focused theme of the course, these illustrative exercises are designed to provide time-efficient clarification of the key course takeaways, aimed at commercially-focused business developers and investors. They are therefore accessible to nonexperts, not designed to replicate the complex or in-depth detailed planning undertaken – over much longer periods! – by engineers and technical teams.
Benefits of Attending
- Speak the language of solar energy: terminology and concepts
- Understand the key variables determining the economics of solar PV projects
- Review current and emerging market opportunities for solar PV, including integrations such as energy storage
- Navigate the typical project development requirements, processes and risks
- Learn how financial returns and risks arise in PV projects
- Be better able to converse with project partners, suppliers, investors, policymakers and other stakeholders
- Know what to look for when evaluating PV project opportunities
- Identify key investment and project performance risks
- Analyse and critique current and emerging business models
Live Online Course – How It Works
The structure of our virtual learning program is designed to keep the same levels of engagement and networking as our on-site public courses. Course content is delivered through our easy-to-use online learning platform and is supplemented by case studies and practical exercises.
Like our classroom-based public courses, you will have live interaction with our course facilitators and other participants. Our live online courses are led by our experienced instructors, who will provide you with easily digestible content, using knowledge learned from many years in the industry, during scheduled times. Delegates will receive copies of the course materials electronically.
This course is scheduled to take place over 5 live online sessions using virtual learning technology.
Session 1: 23 October 2023, 7am – 10am GMT+0
What makes a solar power plant?
- Solar farm components and performance
- New technology and solar power plant trends
Session 2: 24 October 2023, 7am – 10am GMT+0
Solar resource assessment & project design
- The importance of understanding the solar energy resource
- From solar resource to energy output (and revenue generation)
Session 3: 25 October 2023, 7am – 10am GMT+0
Solar power ‘on the ground’: project development and delivery
- Processes, milestones and location choice
- Illustrated example: stakeholder identification and management
- Environmental impact assessment: examining an example document
- Key contracts and risk transfer
Session 4: 26 October 2023, 7am – 10am GMT+0
Selling solar power
- Selling utility-scale solar electricity: the growing channel-to-market options
- Direct sales: corporate buyers and PPAs (examples from the US, Europe and Asia)
- Understanding the changing value of solar electricity
- Curtailment, negative prices and the myth of “free solar electricity”: examples from the US and Europe
- Capturing capacity-based revenues from solar power projects (including contracting examples)
Session 5: 27 October 2023, 7am – 10am GMT+0
The economics and financing of solar power projects
- Project financial analysis
- Excel model illustration: Reviewing the cash flow and risk/return variables behind a successful solar power project business case
- Examining key trends and future resilience from a financial perspective
- A checklist for undertaking opportunity and risk analysis for solar power projects
The agenda will combine presented materials with plenty of opportunity for Q&A, interactive discussions, and the use of quantitative models to illustrate key learning points. Current market examples and data are utilised wherever helpful.
We would like to customise the workshop based on your specific needs. Pre-Course Questionnaire will be sent prior to the workshop for analyse in advance and to be addressed during the course.
Upon the successful completion of this course, you will receive a Certificate of Completion bearing the signatures from both the Course Director and the Course Organiser. This Certificate will testify your endeavour and serve towards your professional advancement.
What People Are Saying
Who Will Attend
- Investors, including commercial and development banks, venture capital and private equity
- Power generation companies, utilities and IPPs
- Policy makers and policy advisors
- Transmission/Distribution system operators
- Commercial services suppliers (law, insurance etc.)
- Equipment vendors and EPC contractors
- Large energy users and electricity buyers
You Might Also Be Interested In
Energy Storage (Online Course)
A business-focused assessment of energy storage opportunities, competing solutions and project delivery essentials
14 – 21 July 2023
1 – 6 December 2023
Mastering Wind Power (Online Course)
An essential guide to the business of wind power project planning & development
Commences: 22 August 2023
Dispatchable & Flexible Solar Power (Online Course)
Mastering the integration of solar power plants with energy storage, plus other value-add solutions
Commences: 1 September 2023
Carbon Capture, Utilisation and Storage (CCUS) Online Course
Master the technology pathways, its business drivers, economics and deployment strategies
16 – 24 May 2023
21 – 24 August 2023
Mastering Clean Hydrogen (Online Course)
A comprehensive, participative course, providing the knowledge and tools to segment and analyse opportunity & risk within emerging hydrogen economies
3 – 7 July 2023
29 August – 6 September 2023
Power Purchase Agreement (Online Course)
Valuable lessons to be learned from the European experience