Mastering Clean Ammonia (Online Course)
Commences: 2 August 2023
Live Online Course
A business guide to ammonia production, market opportunities & deployment challenges
Ammonia is a chemical commodity with long-established supply chains from production and distribution through to utilisation. However, its current production creates substantial carbon emissions, a fact at odds with public and policy desires for cleaner economies and industrial processes.
In addition to cleaning up the processes of the ammonia used in current chemical applications, producers have new reasons to be excited by the growth opportunities for clean ammonia. These opportunities lie in its possible role within the ‘energy transition’. In particular, there is much interest in the role of clean ammonia as either a carrier of hydrogen fuel, or as a fuel in its own right, in sectors such as shipping and power generation.
This time-efficient training course will provide attendees with a comprehensive and up-to-date introduction to ammonia today and its prospects in a decarbonised world. Aimed at those in commercial, business-focused roles, including business development, strategy planning and investment, attendees will gain a clear description of the key technologies in language easily accessible to non-engineers. The market will be reviewed, illustrated by project examples, policy and strategy announcements from around the world. Clean ammonia’s competitive positioning will be examined and analysed from an independent, hype-free perspective, including the challenges and alternatives that it faces.
Benefits of Attending
- Understand current & emerging methods of ammonia production
- Assess the market utilisation of ammonia today, including its linkages with other sectors (including carbon capture and utilisation)
- Identify the proposed growth paths for clean ammonia, including its expansion from chemical commodity to energy carrier or fuel
- Quantify the potential scale of the market opportunities, in energy and economic terms
- Analyse the co-existence / competition options for hydrogen and ammonia in different applications: which factors will most determine the market outcomes?
- Review project announcements from around the world, including realistic timeframes and dependencies
- Understand the practical and investment barriers to clean ammonia markets, including issues of product safety, handling and risk
Live Online Course – How It Works
The structure of our virtual learning program is designed to keep the same levels of engagement and networking as our on-site public courses. Course content is delivered through our easy-to-use online learning platform and is supplemented by case studies and practical exercises.
Like our classroom-based public courses, you will have live interaction with our course facilitators and other participants. Our live online courses are led by our experienced instructors, who will provide you with easily digestible content, using knowledge learned from many years in the industry, during scheduled times. Delegates will receive copies of the course materials electronically.
This course is scheduled to take place over 3 live online sessions using virtual learning technology.
Session 1: 2 August 2023, 7am – 10am GMT+0
Ammonia Production Pathways, Current and Emerging
- Ammonia production today (Haber-Bosch): inputs and outputs
- The scale of ammonia production: today, trends, forecasts
- Where and why does ammonia production happen today?
- ‘Green’ and ‘blue’ ammonia production (linkage with clean hydrogen)
- Ammonia and CCUS (carbon capture, utilisation and storage)
- Emerging and potentially disruptive clean ammonia production methods
- Quantifying key figures in ammonia production (energy utilisation, resource needs, efficiency and more)
- Key variables in the economics of clean ammonia production
- Proposed clean ammonia projects and players: what, where, and who?
- Identifying the key technological challenges and barriers to clean ammonia scale-up
Session 2: 3 August 2023, 7am – 10am GMT+0
The Role of Clean Ammonia in the Energy Transition
- Identifying current and future markets for clean ammonia: segmenting the market
- The properties of ammonia: storing and moving it, including over long distances
- Clean ammonia as a hydrogen carrier: pros and cons, and competition
- The challenges and status of ammonia ‘cracking’ (ammonia-to-hydrogen)
- The properties of ammonia as a direct-use fuel, by combustion or fuel cell
- Proposals and examples of ammonia in transport (with particular focus on shipping)
- Proposals and examples of ammonia in large-scale power generation (coal or natural gas replacement), including blending
- Proposals and examples of ammonia in distributed, small-scale power generation
- Other potential ‘fuel’ applications of ammonia, including energy storage
- A critical review of the status and availability timeframes of ammonia end-use equipment (including engines, turbines and fuel cells)
Session 3: 4 August 2023, 7am – 10am GMT+0
Developing Clean Ammonia Market Demand and Projects
- Reviewing market activity in clean ammonia: where and how is it concentrated, and what are the realistic timeframes for commercialisation?
- Examining studies and forecasts which see a growing role for clean ammonia: what are the common themes?
- A rational view of the barriers to growth for ammonia in new market applications
- Examining toxicity, corrosiveness and other handling hazards
- Project planning, permitting and environmental impact considerations
- What might expanded ammonia supply chains look like (infrastructure, investments and impacts)
- Conversions and the end-to-end efficiency problem of ammonia in energy supply chains: how might it find a role?
- Regulatory environments and policy mechanisms which impact clean ammonia
- Local market conditions and their impacts on the development of clean ammonia, including: available resources, energy needs, geography and stakeholders
- Summary: the competitive environment for clean ammonia
The course combines presented materials with plenty of opportunity for Q&A, interactive discussions, and the use of quantitative models to illustrate key learning points. Current market examples and data are utilised wherever helpful.
We would like to customise the workshop based on your specific needs. Pre-Course Questionnaire will be sent prior to the workshop for analyse in advance and to be addressed during the course.
Upon the successful completion of this course, you will receive a Certificate of Completion bearing the signatures from both the Course Director and the Course Organiser. This Certificate will testify your endeavour and serve towards your professional advancement.
What People Are Saying
Who Will Attend
Any stakeholders seeking to cut through the hype and get to the reality of the clean ammonia sector, including:
- Power generation utilities
- Natural gas producers
- Industrial ammonia users
- Electrolysis technology developers
- Fuel cell developers
- Industrial gas providers
- Low-carbon heat developers
- Shipping and transport OEMs
- Private equity & institutional investors
You Might Also Be Interested In
LNG: Supply, Demand, Pricing and Trading (Online Course)
An overview of the LNG business in 2023 with a commercial focus but technology and shipping will also be covered. It will consider the outlook for the business over the period to 2040 in terms of markets, sources of supply, pricing and trading and the response to energy transition
Commences: 27 March 2023
Carbon Capture, Utilisation and Storage (CCUS) Online Course
Master the technology pathways, its business drivers, economics and deployment strategies
16 – 24 May 2023
21 – 24 August 2023
Mastering Clean Hydrogen (Online Course)
A comprehensive, participative course, providing the knowledge and tools to segment and analyse opportunity & risk within emerging hydrogen economies