Mastering Wind Power (Online Course)
Mastering Wind Power (Online Course)
An essential guide to the business of wind power project planning & development
A comprehensive, up-to-date and business-focused roadmap to success in delivering wind power growth, today and tomorrow.
Attendees will gain an excellent understanding of all the key factors facing wind power developers and investors, from resource assessment and energy production complexities, through technology trends, project development and planning challenges, to financial returns and risks.
The course will include the illustration of key concepts using online tools, wind resource datasets, energy yield, financial and other simple calculations, along with discussion of key planning and market environment considerations.
In keeping with the business-focused theme of the course, any illustrative materials are designed to provide time-efficient clarification of the key course takeaways, aimed at commercially-focused business developers and investors. They are therefore accessible to nonexperts, not designed to replicate the complex or in-depth detailed planning undertaken – over much longer periods! – by experienced engineers and technical teams.
Benefits of Attending
- Learn from global experiences in wind power project development
- Understand unique properties of wind resource, and how these feed into financial risk analysis
- Gain a business-focused, up-to-date perspective on current and emerging wind technology innovations and project delivery best practices
- Analyse and discuss practical and project delivery risks facing wind power projects, including key stakeholder engagements
- Get hands-on with a financial model to better understand financial risks and returns for wind power projects
- Compare and contrast the unique extra costs and complexities of offshore wind projects with those onshore
Live Online Course – How It Works
The structure of our virtual learning program is designed to keep the same levels of engagement and networking as our on-site public courses. Course content is delivered through our easy-to-use online learning platform and is supplemented by case studies and practical exercises.
Like our classroom-based public courses, you will have live interaction with our course facilitators and other participants. Our live online courses are led by our experienced instructors, who will provide you with easily digestible content, using knowledge learned from many years in the industry, during scheduled times. Delegates will receive copies of the course materials electronically.
This course is scheduled to take place over 5 live online sessions using virtual learning technology.
Session 1: 21 August 2023, 7am – 10am GMT+0
From Wind Flow to Electricity: Wind Turbines and Wind Farms
- Wind turbine technology & trends
- Case study of a modern 7MW wind turbine
- Energy output losses and risks
- European wind farm case study
- Examples from Germany, China and Vietnam
Session 2: 22 August 2023, 7am – 10am GMT+0
Understanding and Measuring Wind Resources
- Understanding the wind resource
- Wind resource map example
- Wind resource risk and annual energy output
- Real wind speed dataset
- Examples from India and US
Session 3: 23 August 2023, 7am – 10am GMT+0
Successful Delivery of Wind Power Projects
- Project delivery processes and timeframes
- Defining the stages and likely timescales for wind farms from development to operation: including case study projects from Australia and southeast Asia
- Key reports and contracts with illustrative example documents
- Environmental and social impact studies: contents and outcomes (including case study from a wind project in India)
- New channels to markets, including corporate PPAs: Case studies from Europe and Australia
- Identifying and mitigating key project delivery risks
- A risk mapping illustration
Session 4: 24 August 2023, 7am – 10am GMT+0
Taking Wind Power Offshore
- Developing & constructing offshore wind farms
- Offshore wind foundations: their construction, costs and selection criteria: illustrated using examples from European wind farms
- Case studies of offshore cabling design and processes in Europe
- Permitting risk case study from the UK
- What to watch in offshore wind
- Auction results from the UK and Taiwan
Session 5: 25 August 2023, 7am – 10am GMT+0
Making Money from Wind Power Projects
- Identifying the key business case considerations
- Excel cash-flow model illustration
- Installed cost estimates and cost structure details in wind power projects: illustrated by using and comparing two datasets
- Understanding the market value of wind-generated electricity, now and in future
- Examples of financing cost variation for wind between European markets
The agenda will combine presented materials with plenty of opportunity for Q&A, interactive discussions, and the use of simple quantitative models and calculations to illustrate key learning points.
Current market examples, trends, news and data are utilised wherever helpful to illustrate the learning. It is important to note that market intelligence and examples are continuously updated and refreshed before every course, and so not always reflected in detail in the prepublished agenda.
We would like to customise the workshop based on your specific needs. Pre-Course Questionnaire will be sent prior to the workshop for analyse in advance and to be addressed during the course.
Upon the successful completion of this course, you will receive a Certificate of Completion bearing the signatures from both the Course Director and the Course Organiser. This Certificate will testify your endeavour and serve towards your professional advancement.
Who Will Attend
- Renewable power project developers
- Power plant owners and operators (utilities and IPPs)
- Transmission/Distribution system operators
- Policymakers and policy advisors
- Investors, including commercial and development banks, venture capital and private equity
- Vendors & EPC contractors
- Large energy users
- Commercial energy-sector services suppliers (law, insurance etc.)