Mastering Wind Power
Mastering Wind Power
An essential guide to the business of wind power project planning & development
A comprehensive, up-to-date and business-focused roadmap to success in delivering wind power growth, today and tomorrow.
Attendees will leave with an excellent understanding of all the key factors facing wind power developers and investors, from resource assessment and energy production complexities, through project development and planning challenges, to financial returns and risks.
The course schedule is designed to be highly participative, including time to work in groups to apply and illustrate the learning points throughout the course. To do so, attendees will utilise online tools, wind resource datasets, energy yield, financial and other simple calculations, along with structured discussions on key planning and market environment considerations.
In keeping with the business-focused theme of the course, these illustrative exercises are designed to provide time-efficient clarification of the key course takeaways, aimed at commercially-focused business developers and investors. They are therefore deliberately made accessible to non-experts, not designed to replicate the complex or in-depth detailed planning undertaken – over much longer periods! – by experienced engineers and technical teams.
Benefits of Attending
- Learn from global experiences in wind power project development
- Understand unique properties of wind resource, and how these feed into financial risk analysis
- Gain a business-focused, up-to-date perspective on current and emerging wind technology innovations and project delivery best practices
- Analyse and discuss practical and project delivery risks facing wind power projects, including key stakeholder engagements
- Get hands-on with a financial model to better understand financial risks and returns for wind power projects
- Compare and contrast the unique extra costs and complexities of offshore wind projects with those onshore
DAY 1: Wind Resources, Conversion Technologies and Energy Outputs
- Understanding the Wind Resource
- From Wind to Electricity: Wind Turbine Technology
- Case Study: A modern 7MW wind turbine
- Group Exercise: Wind Resource Assessment and Annual Energy Output
- Energy Output Variables and Risks
- Case Study: European wind farm
DAY 2: Successful Delivery of Wind Power Projects
- Project Delivery Processes and Time Frames
- Case Study: Wind projects in India, Australia and Southeast Asia
- Group Exercise: Stakeholder Engagement and Site Selection
- Taking Wind Offshore: the Unique Practical Differences
- Case Study: Offshore cabling design and processes in Europe
- Case Study: Permitting risk case in the UK
- Group Exercise: Contrasting and Assessing Onshore vs. Offshore Wind Market Development Opportunities
DAY 3: Making Money from Wind Power Projects
- Identifying the Key Business Case Considerations
- Case Study: Using and comparing two different, recent datasets; one for worldwide and one for US projects
- Case Study: New channels to markets in Europe and Australia
- Understanding the Market Value of Wind-Generated Electricity
- Group Exercise: Financial Analysis of Wind Power Projects
- Case Study: Winning offshore wind bidders in Europe and Taiwan
- Looking Ahead: New Technologies and Trends for the Optimisation of Wind Power Project Profitability
The agenda will combine presented materials with plenty of opportunity for Q&A, interactive discussions, and the use of simple quantitative models and calculations to illustrate key learning points.
Current market examples, trends, news and data are utilised wherever helpful to illustrate the learning. It is important to note that market intelligence and examples are continuously updated and refreshed before every course, and so not always reflected in detail in the prepublished agenda.
We would like to customise the workshop based on your specific needs. Pre-Course Questionnaire will be sent prior to the workshop for analyse in advance and to be addressed during the course.
Upon the successful completion of this course, you will receive a Certificate of Completion bearing the signatures from both the Course Director and the Course Organiser. This Certificate will testify your endeavour and serve towards your professional advancement.
Who Will Attend
- Renewable power project developers
- Power plant owners and operators (utilities and IPPs)
- Transmission/Distribution system operators
- Policymakers and policy advisors
- Investors, including commercial and development banks, venture capital and private equity
- Vendors & EPC contractors
- Large energy users
- Commercial energy-sector services suppliers (law, insurance etc.)
You Might Also Be Interested In
Mastering the legal and commercial framework, contract negotiation, financing, risk and contractor relationship complexities of upstream and downstream EPC projects